Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The first post

Hello friends. This is the first post in this new blog. So let me take this occasion to welcome you all to my new blog. To tell you the truth, this is not my first attempt at blogging. In fact, this is the third (hoping to get third time lucky). It is said that we learn from our past mistakes. In my case, I will try hard to do exactly the same.

My first attempt at blogging was an absolute disaster. It was way back in 2009 and I didn't know anything about blogging and I started a blog only because one of my friends was doing the same and it was more of a challenge for me to outdo him. As you can guess, that didn't go very well. It simply had no vision and after some 10-15 random posts (which were poorly written, ill-conceived and in case of one, downright disgusting) and some not-so-kind comments, it died its death. I just decided blogging is not my cup of tea and quit it.



My second attempt at blogging was a more serious one. This happened in 2012. This time I decided to focus exclusively on photography. This was just after I started taking photography "seriously". I bought a DSLR and like every other gun..err...DSLR toting young guy, I thought myself to be the rightful heir of Ansel Adams/ HCB/ Raghu Rai/ (Insert your favorite photographer) and I wanted to out do them (Why not?). So I started another blog to show light to the lesser mortals and to show off my photographic skills and prowess. I started out well (shamelessly self-patting). In the beginning, I wrote some 10-15 articles about getting started in photography and covered some of the very basic activities, like how to operate a DSLR, what is Exposure Traingle, What is composition, basic compositional rules etc. They were more-or-less received positively, judging by the comments of the very few readers that I had. But after that it went downhill. Writing about some very basic stuff was easy, but advancing beyond that was out of my league. I myself knew very little about photography and when I tried to tread on more advanced stuff based upon my flawed understanding and some casual googling, I failed miserably. There is nothing worse than a flawed/misinformation spreading blog post. But at that time, I didn't know better and continued at that way for another 3-4 months before realization stuck. Some of my readers pointed out my mistakes. Besides, one could tell just by taking a look at my blog that it was wayy too amateurish to be taken seriously. At that point, I could have tried to salvage the Blog by deleting/modifying some of the posts and altering the layout/changing the style, but I was too bogged down by my professional life. Ultimately, in 2013, that blog also died its death.

After nearly two years, I have decided once again to make a fresh starting, being a wiser guy by the last experience. Taking a hard look at my failed attempts, I realized where I went wrong. So, this time around, I am hoping not to repeat the same mistakes. It is said that the passing time makes you wiser. In my case, I am definitely praying that the saying comes true. I have followed some of the established blogs and decided a course on which I would like to take my blog. In my previous blog, I had a number of posts about the very basic stuff of photography. I will edit them once again and publish them here. Along with the tutorials, I have decided on one more thing that will be published regularly on this blog. I will share some photographs and photo-series that I have shot along with my thought process and opinion about them.

The reason behind taking this approach is, I don't want to sound like some grumpy old man who preaches at the drop of a hat. I am just a beginner in photography. I also want to evolve and grow as a photographer and as a person. Sharing the tutorial and photographs/Photo-series will help me to understand the concepts and nuances of photography in a much better way, by way of interactions and comments. I believe that discussing with fellow minded people is the best way to grow better. And that is my sole aim. Also, if someone gets any kind of help from my effort, it will give me enormous satisfaction. I will try my level best to update this blog as frequently as possible with new and relevant content. So, lets see, how the third attempt goes. Do I get third time lucky, or this Blog also fails like the previous two? Only time can tell. Good Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment