Friday, May 22, 2015

Some random shots from AHSI Annual Flower Show at Alipore, Kolkata

Every year, The Agri Horticultral Society of India (AHSI) organizes an annual flower show at its premises located at 1 Alipore Road, Kolkata. What makes this show special is the fact that it is the World’s oldest Flower Show in existence. Since the early part of 1828, ever year (barring 1940), this competition has been taking place as a prominent fixture of Kolkata’s happening. This is a gala event where around 2000 entries and 16,500 exhibits including edible vegetable are on display. First Annual Exhibition of vegetables was held on 9th January, 1828 in the rooms of the Asiatic Society under the auspices of the then President of the Society Mr. W. Leycester. 

This year (2015), this event took place on 5th-8th February. I was aware of the show, but being the lazy bum as I am, I would have almost surely skipped this but for one Mr Subhadip Mukherjee. He is a very good friend of mine who happens to share a lot of common interests with me, photography and travelling being two of them. He is also an avid blogger and you can read his blog here- https://subhadipindia.wordpress.com/He literally dragged me to the location, and after reaching there, boy, I was glad he did. My situation was almost like a child in a candy shop. There were loads of different types of flowers and even vegetables on display there. I thanked my stars that I carried my trusty Tamron 90mm Macro with me. There were simply too many photo opportunities before me, and in the end I really thanked him with my heart. I am sharing some of the images I took that day.

DSC_5465

Busy Bee



DSC_5448

In search of nectar

DSC_5406

The Majestic Dahlia

DSC_5396

The Core

DSC_5395

Bee inside a Dahlia

DSC_5377

The Shy one

DSC_5340

Baeutiful Bee

DSC_5290

Three Musketeers

Two to tango

Two to Tango

Red and White

Red and White

Ripples.

Rosy Abstract

Lili

Lily

Gimme Huuny

Bee in a lily

Bee in action

The Honey thief!!!!

I am sorry that I am a complete idiot when it comes to flower names , so I named them just randomly. Did you like the images? Do leave a comment whether you liked them or if you would like to suggest some improvements both in terms of composition and editing.

I don't know whether I could capture their beauty well or not, but that day, I learnt something very special. If a flower show is in town, never miss it. I am looking forward towards the next edition already. If you live at or near Kolkata, do not miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment